Pioche (pronounced - pee-oach) is located 180 miles northeast of Las Vegas. This old mining town is known for being the most violent in Wild West history. The history of Lincoln County is well known through the history of its mines. It all began with all the who-ha down in Eldorado Canyon, Potosi mine was the first lode mine in Nevada. Discoveries in Pahranagat Valley followed then the discoveries near Pioche, located on a spur of the Ely Mountains facing north. Pioche was first settled by Jos. Grange and E. M. Chubard, who in 1868 erected a small furnace. This turned out to be a failure and they abandoned the location. The following year, Meadow Valley district was reorganized and given the name of Ely District in honor of John H. Ely. Ely and W. H. Raymond, who placed a five-stamp quartz mill rented from a New York Company, in Meadow Valley, at the site of Bullionville, because of the abundance of water at that location. Later that same year the Company of P. McCannon, L. Lacour and A. M. Bush plotted out the townsite.